History

There were two artesian wells for watering of cattle on the pasture 6 km away from Kanjiža in 1907. As the demand for the water raised, the shepherds went to the city government with the request to bore two more wells.In 1908 it was already bored a new well. The water of this well had yellowish color and inflammable gas came out from the pipe. Such characteristics of the water were enough for arising different legends about the healing effect of the well. People named it "The Miraculous Well" very soon. In connection with the miraculous well appeared the story about a Gypsy who cured her ill joints bathing in this water. The city government acted quickly and logically and they opened "the first season " of bathing in the water of the miraculous well in the same year. People had to pay for bathing even then.
The business efficiency of these people proofs the fact that on the decision of the Town Assembly sample of the water had been sent for testing to the King Institution for Chemistry in Budapest. The analysis were ready in 1910.
One businessman from Kanjiža, Mr. Grünfeld (director of former brick and tile factory), insisted on forming joint stock company for opening a spa in 1909. The city government gave their agreement. The joint stock company was formed with Mr. Herman Grünfeld at the head.

According to the contract between the municipal officials and the joint stock company, the water of the miraculous well was given for use to the joint stock company for 30 years (concession ), under the condition to carry the water by pipes to the pasture in the National Park where a new up-to-date bath had to be built, bathing and healing place. .In accordance with the same contract, the caterer object " Vigadó" was rented out for 30 years.

The joint stock company acts quickly and effectively. In July 1912 the projects for the new bath were ready, and in August 1913, more exactly on 10th August the new artesian bath of the miraculous well was festive opened in Old Kanjiža. It had 12 rooms and 20 bathtubs. The object was steam heated and had electric light. Beside the bath there was an open pool with thermal water and 28 cabins for quests-bathers in the beautiful National Park.

As all conditions have ben achieved it was possible to start with the healing of the patients. The healing was carried out by bathing and drinking water under the supervision of the doctor. The water was used for treatment of rheumatic illnesses, illnesses of muscles, joints, nerves. Therapical indication included also some gynecology diseases, anemia. The water was used as above mentioned also by drinking for stomach and bowels tract complaints. The water had been bottled in 1 l and 0,5 l dark green bottles with porcelain patent closer. The bottles had a label "Water of the Miraculous Well - Old Kanjiža".

The First World War affected this part too.The wounded were healed in the bath from 1914 - 1915. The joint stock company overcame these war years successfully and continued the work and development of the bath healing. The concession expired in 1943., and the joint stock company gave the Bath back to the city government.
The Bath worked under the name of "Artesian Bath" as State Institution from 1945 - 1953. Water analysis had been carried out in Belgrade in 1954. After the analysis it was suggested that the Bath should work as a spa.
From 1960 - 1976 the spa worked within of the Medical Center of Kanjiža.
From 24th July 1976 the spa was distinguished by referendum from The Medical Center of Kanjiža, and functioned as a basic organization of associated labour under the name Rehabilitation and Recreation Center "Banja" in Kanjiža.